For the 2022/23 school year Istat and SIS organize the thirteenth edition of the Italian Statistics Olympics.
The Olympics are aimed to encourage students to approach statistical reasoning, to arouse their interest in data analysis and probability, to enable them to better understand the meaning of the quantitative information they receive every day.
The initiative is open to upper secondary school students (classes 1-4).
School and student registrations opened on 20 October 2022 and closed on 27 November 2022.
The competition consists of one individual and a team assignment. Individual tests were held on:
- 17 January 2023 (schools of Piemonte, Valle d’Aosta, Lombardia, Trentino Alto-Adige, Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia);
- 18 January 2023 (schools of Liguria, Emilia Romagna, Toscana, Umbria, Marche, Lazio, Abruzzo and Molise);
- 19 January 2023 (schools of Campania, Puglia, Basilicata, Calabria, Sicilia and Sardegna).
Individual tests consist of a set of multiple choice questions, administered online, on statistics topics as set forth in the Competition Rules.
The assignments of the previous editions, with solutions and comments, are available in the Competition pages of the years: 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 .
Further information is available in the the Competition announcement, and in the Rules adopted by Resolution of the Istat President.
Winners in individual tests are inserted in the “Albo nazionale delle eccellenze” (National register of excellences) by the Ministry of Education according to the provisions of the appropriate Ministerial Decree.
The qualified schools can participate in the team phase, which started on 27 January 2023. The term of this phase, scheduled for 22 February 2023, is extended to 28 February 2023.
Also in this edition, the Italian Statistics Olympics are the national phase of the European statistics competition. The Olympics winners are admitted to the European competition organized by Eurostat in collaboration with the National statistical institutes (here the European rules).
- Winners of the 2023 Olympics individual tests (classes I and II)
- Winners of the 2023 Olympics individual tests 23 (classes III and IV)
- School admitted to the second team phase of the Italian Olympics (classes I and II)
- School admitted to the second team phase of the Italian Olympics (classes III and IV)
For information: email@example.com