[ Italiano ]
Press release

Residential care facilities

  • Ascolta questa pagina usando ReadSpeaker
  • Condividi
  • Lascia un feedback

In Italy, residential care facilities, active at 31st December 2013, were 12,261, with 384,450 beds (6.3 for every 1,000 residents). The majority of the residential care facilities provided both social and health care services, 74% of beds. They mainly provided services to non-independent elderly. The rest of the facilities (26%) provided social care only.

The huge geographical differences remained unchanged from the previous year: 66% of all residential care beds were located in the regions of the North area, with a rate of 9 beds for every 1,000 residents. In the South area there were only 3 beds per thousand residents.

The greatest supply of both health and social residential care services was recorded in the North, with 7.4 beds for every 1,000 residents versus 2 beds per thousand residents in the South and Islands area.

The residential care recipients were 367 thousand. Nearly  279 thousand of them were elderly people aged 65 and over (76%), more than 71 thousand were adults aged between 18 and 64 (19%), and more than 17 thousand were minors aged under 18 (5%).

Half of the elderly recipients were aged over 85, and 76% of them were non independent. The ratio by sex was greatly unbalanced: of the approximately 279 thousand elderly recipients, around 208 thousand were women.

62% of adult recipients aged 18-64 were men. The main difficulty was connected with disability or psychiatric disorders (around 69% of the adult recipients).

More than half of children and young recipients (under 18 years old) had no specific problem, 22% had problems related to substance abuse and 15% suffered mental health problems or disabilities. Almost half of these recipients (42%) lived in residential care facilities as a result of family-related problems.

Just over 13 thousand of young recipients were released from residential care facilities during 2013. 41% of them were placed with an adoptive or foster family.

For information
Socio-demographic and environmental statistics directorate

Alessandra Battisti
ph. +39 06 4673.7582
Claudia Di Priamo

Reference period: Year 2013

Date of Issue: 17 December 2015