Microdata files are collections of elementary data. ISTAT releases microdata files referring to its own surveys free of charge. The files released are those available at the time of the request and may be subject to statistical revisions.
In implementation of the art. 5-ter of the legislative decree 14 March 2013, no. 33, introduced by the legislative decree 25 May 2016, no. 97, the new “Guidelines for the access for scientific purposes to the elementary data of the National Statistical System” (published with Directive no. 11 of the Comstat of November 7, 2018), establish the conditions under which the bodies and offices of the National Statistical System can allow researchers to access their own elementary data for scientific purposes.
The procedure defined by the aforementioned article establishes that the researcher’s institution must be recognized as a research entity by the Comstat on the basis of specific criteria (article 5-ter paragraph 1, letter a) of the legislative decree) or it is included into the list of research entities recognized by Eurostat (Regulation (EU) No. 557/2013). For more information, you can consult the section dedicated to the recognition procedure.
The types of available files are the following:
- PUBLIC USE FILES, downloaded directly from this website;
- STANDARD FILES, issued upon request with a valid reason for research purposes;
- FILES FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES, issued to subjects belonging to universities or research bodies upon the presentation of a research project;
- FILES FOR SISTAN, accessible only by the statistical offices of the National Statistical System.
- FILES FOR THE LABORATORY, for Elementary Data Analysis (ADELE), where subjects belonging to universities or research bodies can access microdata files of all Istat surveys (without identification, sensitive and judicial data);
- LINKED MICRODATA, accessible by the statistical offices of the National Statistical System and the Laboratory for Elementary Data Analysis (ADELE)
PUBLIC USE FILES
Public use mIcro.STAT files are collections of elementary data downloaded directly and free of charge from the Istat website.
- MIcro.STAT files are developed for some surveys starting from the relative File for research purpose to which methods of statistical disclosure control have been applied to reduce the risk of identification of statistical unit. In some cases, the calculations performed on the file mIcro.STAT may lead to results in some extent differing from those published;
- Historical public use files are developed from standard files already produced in the past; historical public use files have a different structure from mIcro.STAT due to a different methodology of statistical confidentiality protection;
- Other public use files are files containing elementary data which, following the legislation, can be disseminated in a disaggreted form.
- List of Standard files (in Italian only)
Standard files regard a number of surveys conducted on individuals and households. These files do not contain information for direct identification and in any case, they are treated following procedures which do no enable them to be linked to respondents. They are issued upon request with a valid reason for research or study purposes. To acquire standard files the requesting party must:
- briefly outline the purposes of use of the data;
- indicate the place where the data are to be kept and processed;
- undertake to use the data only for the defined purposes;
- undertake not to provide third parties with elementary data, allowing access, under its own responsibility, only to people directly involved in the work for which the data have been requested.
To acquire such files it is necessary to register at the Cont@ct centre. Once registration has been completed, or for users already registered, the request must be formulated by selecting, in the Cont@ct centre the area “Collezioni campionarie di dati elementari (file standard)” “Sample collections of elementary data (standard files)” and filling in the on-line request form.
For reference purposes only, a facsimile of data request form is provided.
FILES FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES
Files for research purposes are developed in relation to statistical surveys regarding individuals and households as well as enterprises, and are created specifically for the purposes of scientific research. These files are subject to particular statistical treatments that limit the identifiability of the respondent, while maintaining a high level of detailed information.
Files for research purposes may be requested exclusively by:
- subjects belonging to universities or research bodies and institutions to which the “Ethical code for the processing of statistical data outside Sistan” applies;
- other subjects with Eurostat requirements defined for the provision of microdata files in accordance with Commission Regulation (EC) no. 557/2013.
Files are available both in delimited or fixed structure and are also provided with the programs to import these files in STATA, SAS and R.
To access microdata it is necessary that the requesting body is recognized as a research entity by the Comstat on the basis of established criteria (Article 5-ter paragraph 1, letter a) of the legislative decree 14 March 2013, no. 33) or is included into the list of research entities recognized by Eurostat (Regulation (EU) No. 557/2013). In order to apply for recognition please access the section dedicated to recognition.
The researchers of an institution included in the list of recognized organizations may submit, for a preliminary assessment, the research proposal for the request for access to MFR files to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final form, filled in, signed and accompanied by all the necessary documentation, can be sent using one of the following methods:
- the fax number +39.06.4667.8004;
- the certified e-mail address: email@example.com;
- the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org. In this case it is necessary to transmit the original by registered mail to: ISTAT / DIRM / DCCI / CIA, via Cesare Balbo, 16 – 00184 Rome.
To access to Scientific use files (SUFs) the Principal Researcher has to submit the following documentation to Istat (as provided for in Annexes 3-6 of COMSTAT Directive no. 11/2018):
- Research proposal application form (Annex 3) doc | pdf
- Confidentiality declaration of the Principal Researcher (Annex 4) doc | pdf
- Confidentiality declaration of the Individual Researchers (Annex 5) doc | pdf
- Additional certification of Contact persons for microdata requests (in case of Joint projects) (Annex 6) doc | pdf
European microdata files can be requested to Eurostat following the instructions contained in the link http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/microdata
FILES FOR SISTAN
Requests for elementary data by Sistan departments
Directive no. 9 issued by Comstat (Committee for Directing and Co-ordinating Statistical Information), “Criteria and procedures concerning the communication of personal data within the National Statistical System”, brings Sistan fully into line with legislation concerning the protection of personal data (Legislative Decree 196/03 and ethical code of conduct). The directive deals with the transmission of previously collected personal data to a statistic bureau or agency or any other party in the System (in this specific case Istat) which requests them for statistical purposes.
Such requests may be made for the purpose of:
- the implementation of the National Statistical Programme (PSN);
- the execution of statistical data processes in connection with the institutional activities or local area of competence of the requesting party. In this case, a brief description of the project must be provided.
The transmission of personal data with information containing unique identification data must be limited to exceptional cases in which it is absolutely and strictly necessary (in which it is impossible to achieve established objectives without information for identification). The signer of the request assumes full responsibility with regard to the applicability of this condition.
In order to acquire information or microdata files the requesting party (Director of the Statistics Department or data controller/supervisor for public Bodies and Boards providing statistical information) must register at the Cont@ct center. Once registration has been completed, or for users already registered, the request must be formulated by selecting, in the Cont@ct centre the area: “Dati elementari per uffici Sistan” (Elementary data for Sistan departments) and filling in the online form.
For reference purposes only, a facsimile of the data request form is provided.