- Consumer prices
- Frequently asked questions
- Currency revaluation
- Archive documents on inflation
- Eurostat: Harmonized Indices of Consumer Price
Consumer prices: data and information
Inflation is a process of continuous, generalised increase in the prices of goods and services for household consumption. Rising inflation refers to a situation in which the rate of price increases is accelerating, while falling inflation describes the case in which prices are rising but at a decreasing rate.
Inflation is measured through the construction of the consumer price index, that measures changes in prices of a ‘basket’ of goods and services, which is representative of households consumer expenditure in a specific year.
Istat calculates three consumer price indices:
- consumer price index for the whole nation (NIC), based on the entire present population's consumptions;
- consumer price index for blue and white-collar worker households (FOI) based on consumptions of households whose reference person is an employee;
- harmonised index of consumer prices (HICP), calculated according to the EU regulations in force, which gives comparable measures of inflation in the euro-zone, the EU, the European Economic Area and for other countries including accession and candidate countries and is used as a key indicator for the monetary policy of the European Central Bank.
Consumer Price Indices
- 2015 Basket, weight structure and survey updating
- 2014 Basket, weight structure and survey updating
- 2013 Basket, weight structure and survey updating
- 2012 Basket, weight structure and survey updating
- 2011 Basket, weight structure and survey updating
To calculate the harmonised index of consumer prices (HICP) Istat uses a harmonised approach, a single set of definitions and a specific basket of good and services:
- HICP 2015: basket of goods and services (pdf, xls, ods)
- HICP 2014: basket of goods and services (pdf, xls, ods)
- HICP 2013: basket of goods and services
- HICP 2012: basket of goods and services
- HICP 2011: basket of goods and services
- HICP 2010: basket of goods and services
Consumer prices are collected through two distinct surveys: the local, conducted by Municipal Offices of Statistics, under Istat supervision and coordination, and the central survey, carried out directly by Istat.
With regard to local survey:
- Chief towns which participate in the survey (2015)
- Chief towns which release municipal NIC data (2015)