Deregistration from the population register of the resident population to foreign countries (emigrations) accounted for 157 thousand in 2018, an increase to 2017 (+ 1.2%). Almost three out of four were Italian emigrants (117 thousand, + 1.9%).
Immigrations accounted for about 332 thousand, for the first time down to the previous year (-3.2%), after the permanent increases recorded from 2014 to 2017. As for immigration, more than five out of six were foreign citizens (286 thousand, -5.2%).
In 2018 the total internal mobility volume was 1.358 million transfers, an increase to 2017 (+ 1.8%). Over 75% of the movements referred to change of residence within the same region (intraregional), the remaining 25% to movements from a region to another (interregional).