[ Italiano ]
Press release

Residential care facilities

  • Ascolta questa pagina usando ReadSpeaker
  • Condividi
  • Lascia un feedback

In Italy, residential care facilities, active at 31st December 2012, were 11,571, with 372,962 beds (6.2 for every 1,000 residents). The majority of the residential care facilities provide both social and health care services, 76% of beds. They mainly provide services to non-independent elderly. The rest of the facilities (24%) provided social care only.

The huge geographical differences remained unchanged from the previous year: 69% of all residential care beds were located in the regions of the North area, with a rate of 9.3 beds for every 1,000 residents. In the South area there were only 3 beds per thousand residents.

The greatest supply of both health and social residential care services was recorded in the North, with 8 beds for every 1,000 residents versus 2 beds per thousand residents in the South.

The residential care recipients were 355 thousand. Around 270 thousand of them were elderly people aged 65 and over (76%), more than 69 thousand were adults aged between 18 and 64 (20%), and while just less 16 thousand were minors aged under 18 (4%).

For information
Socio-demographic and environmental statistics directorate

Alessandro Solipaca
ph. +39 06 4673.7581

Claudia di Priamo
ph. +39 06 4673.7310

Reference period: Year 2012

Date of Issue: 10 December 2014



Media relations office
ph. +39 06 4673.2243-4
Media contact centre

Contact centre
ph. +39 06 4673.3102
contact centre