The positive trend of the agritourism sector registered in the previous years continued in 2017, for both agritourisms and presences and for municipalities with agritourism farms.
In 2017 there were 23,406 agritourism farms (agritourism farms licensed to provide accomodation), 745 more than the previous year (+3.3%). The increase was due to 2,121 new farms and 1.376 ceased.
In 2017 the municipalities were agritourism farms were located were 4,893, 27 more than the previous year (+0.6%)
Tourists accommodation in agritourisms amounted to 12.7 million (5.3% compared to 2016), as resulted from Istat survey on Tourist accommodation establishments.
Also in 2017 agritourism farms continued to offer several services. Tourist packages continued to be offered along with different services: 8,225 farms provided both accomodation and food serving services, while 10,757 farms added to accommodation other agritourism activities and 1,987 offered all the four types of licensed agritourism activities (accommodation, food serving services, tasting of local typical food and other).
60.5% of agritourism farms with accommodation was located in the region of the Centre and South and Islands area, 56.3% of those with food serving services, 60.4% of those with tasting of local typical food and 63.9% with other activities.
84.2% of agritourism farms were located in mountain and hill areas, the remaining 15.8% in plain areas. The growth in the number of agritourism farms which was registered in all geographical areas was more relevant in the Centre (+6.3%) compared with the South and Islands area Centre (+3.9%) and the North area (+0.8%).
Toscana and the Autonomous province of Bolzano/Bozen, with 4,568 and 3,187 farms, were the territories with longstanding and consolidated agritourism tradition.
Over one agritourism farm out of three was managed by a woman (36.2%); the highest concentration was to be found in Toscana, with 1,789 farms, equal to 39.2% of regional total and to 21.1% of national total of agritourism farms managed by women.